Monday, April 13, 2015

Our visit to the Metropolitan Opera


In February of 1985, I made my first trip to New York for Toy Fair, the annual big event in that industry. I had to stay ten days, but my boss had arranged for his wife and mine also to go, so they were able to go sight-seeing. She and I had planned to take one evening to go to the Metropolitan Opera, since that would be the only opportunity we would ever have. Our tickets were in the fourth balcony – so far away from the stage that we could not see the performer’s faces clearly – but the acoustics were perfect.

               The conductor for the performance was Placido Domingo, the famous tenor. He had been wanting to expand his career, and so was moving into conducting to some extent. I do not believe that was the first actual performance he had conducted, but it was the first production which he had conducted at the Met, so his initial performance would have been a few months earlier. LINK
It was a lot of fun. I would not want to do it very often, but once was entertaining.
Conducting-the-Vienna-Philharmonic-Orchestra-2006.jpg

No comments: