Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Those nickel Cokes with peanuts

When I was in the first grade, my father's room at school was upstairs in the National Guard armory which was on the school campus. While he was giving private voice lessons after school, I would hang out in the armory, which was also the high school gymnasium. There were soft drink and vending machines in the entrance to the armory offices, and I remember vividly when the high school boys would buy a 5-cent Coke and a package of peanuts, pour the peanuts into the bottle, and enjoy them. I was so jealous, because I rarely had any money for anything so scandalously extravagant as snacks. But on a few occasions I had one, and I remember to this day how good they tasted. Those old 5-cent Cokes in glass bottles just tasted better than the ones they have today.

113.jpg

2 comments:

Leah said...

David likes peanuts in his coke.

Bill said...

I remember when Cokes went up to six cents. It was hard to find that extra penny!