Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Generalizing always has its dangers

Generalizing is very useful, indeed, we cannot function without it. However, it is dangerous when we carry it too far. It is easier just to lump things together, but not always accurate.

My wife and her siblings and two of us in-laws recently had dinner together. Her brother is semi-retired from his position as the President of a petro-chemical consulting firm. In his responsibilities, he regularly traveled all over the world. During dinner, I asked him things about different countries. Among his answers was one that I should have known. He said that American perceptions of Arabs is very skewed because of the current terroristic atmosphere. He said their demeanor is much different than what we perceive - on the positive side.

When I stopped to think about it, that made sense. I absolutely do not differentiate among Arabs. They are just Arabs - of whatever country or factional group among them. But what about Americans or Christians. Would I want to be lumped together with anyone who was an American, perhaps from San Fransisco or New York? Not in the least! Do I want people attributing to me some things that are true of many people who call themselves Christian? Perish the thought! If I would desire that degree of discrimination from them with regard to me, ought I not at least to temper my assumptions regarding them? It seems logical.

Generalizing is useful, but not always correct.

No comments: